Friday 31 January 2014

Idioms online exercise

Hello,

Here's an exercise for you to practise the idioms we've learnt in class. Enjoy!

KNOW YOUR IDIOMS 1

KNOW YOUR IDIOMS 1

Gap-fill exercise

Fill in all the gaps, then press "Check" to check your answers. Use the "Hint" button to get a free letter if an answer is giving you trouble. You can also click on the "[?]" button to get a clue. Note that you will lose points if you ask for hints or clues!
“So, are you completely certain that it was Nicole who you in the back?”
“Unfortunately, yes. I really thought she was my friend but I her in the act so I know it was her. I was waiting to meet with the professor, standing outside the door, and I heard her telling him that I was copying her. I was so embarrassed that I wished I could vanish into air, but I couldn’t leave because I had already arranged to meet with the professor.”
“What did he say when you met him?”
“Well, he told me that I was a young adult at college now and that I needed to my age. He told me that I had better get my quickly or he would see that I was disciplined. I tried to tell him that it was not true, and that I was doing my own work, but to no . He said he was disappointed because he had thought that I was the ball; that I was bright, enthusiastic. This made me feel sad.”
“What are you going to do? After all, the ball’s in your now.”
“There’s not much I can do really. But I do have one ace up my , because I’ve been helping Nicole, actually. And if anyone was copying, she was the one copying me. So, I will just not help her anymore, and he will see that my work stays the same and hers will probably get a lot worse.”
“Are you going to tell her you overheard what she told the professor?”
“No. I’d prefer not to. But I’m afraid, if I don’t, that she’ll keep bugging me to help her.”
“Well if you just keep telling her no, I’m sure she’ll eventually her own business and stop asking.”


“I haven’t seen Sophie and Todd for ages; I wonder what’s up with them. Have you heard from them lately?”
“Yes, I saw them last week. They’re fine; still alive and . You know they bought that new house, right? Well, it cost an and a and I think they’re just staying in and trying to save money for a while.”
“Oh, of course! That would explain it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment